John Trippier led a visit to the medieval Kentmere Hall for 10 keen members on a glorious March day. The Hall comprises 14th century peel tower and 15th century and later hall house and barns. Renovation is soon to start and this was a great opportunity to see it empty and with many of the original features exposed.
On 28th September, in atrocious weather, the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority and Historic England ‘rescued’ the Middleton Roman Milestone from the middle of a field where it had fallen over in 2014 and re-erected it securely in the churchyard at Middleton. Sarah Howard from Historic England and Miles Johnson of the YDNPA oversaw the delicate operation which involved moving the stone with a digger across a couple of fields and lifting it over the wall cemetery wall, before firmly planting it in its new location where it will be more easily viewed by the public.
The stone has two inscriptions. The first from the Roman period simply states MP LIII – recording a distance of 53 Roman miles. This has been taken to be the distance to Carlisle, to which it approximates closely. The second records the finding of the stone in 1836 by a local farmer, Mr W. Moore, while ploughing.
LAS has supplied the text and an outline proposal for an information panel which will be erected on the site. The draft version is shown below